How do I become a drone pilot in the USA – Federal Aviation Authority
To become to become a Drone Pilot in the USA, you will need to comply with the (FAA) Federal Aviation Authority requirements.
The FFA requires that to fly a drone under the FAA’s small UAS rule (part 107) you must obtain a remote pilot certificate from the FFA.
The certificate obtained through the FFA will demonstrate that you understand the operating requirements, regulations, and procedures to safely fly drones.
First Time Drone Pilots
To be eligible to become a drone pilot you must:
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English.
- be in a mental and physical condition to safely fly a drone.
- pass the aeronautical knowledge exam, ‘unmanned aerial general small (UAG)
- be at least 16 years old.
Remote Drone Pilot Certificate Cequirements
- Certificate holders must complete recurrent online training every two years/ 24 calendar months to maintain aeronautical knowledge.
- During all UAS operations the certificate must be easily accessible by the remote pilot
The Process of Becoming a Drone Pilot with the FAA.
- Create an Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) so that you can obtain an FAA Tracking Number (FTN)
- You will need to find a FAA approved knowledge testing centre and schedule an appointment with them. Ensure you take a government issued photo ID to your test.
- Pass the unmanned aircraft general- small (UAG) test.
- Complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate using the FAA IACRA, (as above).
- Completion of the TSA security background check you should receive an email so you can print off a temporary certificate from the IACRA.
- Once the FA a has completed all internal processing a permanent remote pilot certificate will be sent via the mail.
Keeping Your Remote Pilot Certificate Current
Certified remote pilots are expected to keep their aviation knowledge up to date. you are required to complete the following training course online within the previous 24 calendar months / 2 years to operate UAS under part 107:
- Complete the Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent (ALC-677) online training course – There is no cost for this.